Friday 6 July 2012

Little travel case: By Zuzu


Hi, Zuzu here again
This weeks project is a little suitcase; they come in a set of two, and I have used the smallest one for this project.

I started by carefully taking off all the straps etc. using a craft knife to assist; this makes it easier to colour it if you are using an ink pad or something. I am a messy worker so it seemed the best plan. I inked up the straps separately. I wanted the case to look old and as if it had been in someone's attic for a while. You know the kind... they get paint splattered on them every time you decorate, so end up stuffed in the attic full of "interesting things you cant throw away but cant really use".  So to get that look, I splatted it with white acrylic paint (from a paint dabber). But I dont cope well with white lol. its too new and clean, so I distressed it down a bit with some brown ink.

Now I reassembled the case, before decorating, using PVA glue.
To make the labels, I used distress inks on crumpled paper, a nice, easy and popular Tim Holtz technique, and stamped out my 'Travelling words', (also in distress ink). I used 'Broken China' and 'Fired Brick'.I added some ribbon and charms to the back.


And of course to make it authentic I filled it with "stuff", including two large distressed maps, made using the Europe map background and more distress inks (broken china, fired brick and vintage photo.)

You can get a nice selection of vintage looking bits from The artistic stamper, including optical lenses similar to the one I have used and the large clock charm is also stocked. I have also used one of the little corked vials from the Idea-ology range. 

See you in a couple of weeks with a new project.
Z x

12 comments:

Paula Whittaker said...

A gorgeous project Z - lots of eyecatching interest and loving the colour combination on the front covers.

Neil said...

Hiya. That's a great project you've done here, Clever idea to remove the straps as I struggled to get the edges done properly last time I did one, Tempted to have another go now though!

Astrid Maclean said...

Fab project, love what you did with your suitcase, full of great little details and am loving that blue colour!

Zuzu's Blog said...

thank you everyone :)

I appreciate you commenting.
Z x

Artyjen said...

Fabulously vintage ;)
xoxo Sioux

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

You always have so many original ideas !!! I LOVE this... thing !

Redanne said...

Brilliant tip to remove the straps. Gorgeous project and love the bits inside too.

whyducks said...

Wonderful!

Gillian .... said...

This is fab Zuzu, your attention to detail & originality is 1st class, love it:) x

Janny Jager said...

A great suitcase
Love it

Greetings Janny

craftytrog said...

Fabulous project Zuzu, love the battered, distressed look of your case!
Alison xox

Minxy said...

Awesome fun project, loving those mini specks