Thursday 26 June 2014

Playing with Paperclay

Hello everyone, this is Astrid with my second June project.
It's the wedding season and I decided to make a romantic vintage piece that could work as a wedding gift, or indeed any occasion gift.

Did you know that the shop sells a fantastic collection of moulds? These seem to be ever more popular, and for my project I decided to have play with them.
Moulds can be used with all sorts of products, embossing powder, Utee, - there is even a special product made by Modge Podge, called Modge Melts.
For this project I chose to play with paper clay, as it is light, can easily be painted and works beautifully with the more delicate moulds.
These are the products I used:
Stamps:
Botanical 2 by Katie Fox (now Leitch)
Leaves Background
Regency Background
Botanical 3
Moulds:
Floral Circle
Silicone Butterfly Trio
I also used Distress Paint in Antique Linen and Pumice Stone and Black Stazon and Coffee Archival Ink and Antique Linen, Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain Distress InksShrink Plastic, and Distress Markers.

I started by die cutting a fancy frame from Kraft card and stamped the Leaves background in Coffee Archival onto it. This was a second generation stamp impression as I wanted it fairly light and my ink pad was very juicy.
Next I cut another fancy shape out of white card and stamped the Regency Background in Antique Linen Distress Paint.
Then I painted both my frame and butterfly with the same paint
I darkened the edges a bit with Pumice Stone paint and then rubber over it with some Treasure Gold to bring out the detail of the designs.
For my vocal image I chose the largest rose from the Botanical 3 set, stamped it onto Shrink Plastic in Black Stazon and shrunk it with my heat gun and then coloured it with Distress Markers. It was now the perfect size to fit inside the little frame!
Finally I cut a banner with the new Tim Holtz banner dies and stamped the word  Les Fleur from the Katie Fox Botanical set onto it with Coffee Archival.


Then I inked around the edges of my main background pieces in Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain Distress Inks and layered them all up until I was happy with my composition:


The little embellishment at the bottom was from another mould from my stash and I hung my little hanger from some cord.
Here are some details still:
I love the detail you get when stamping onto shrink plastic, I think it makes the rose look so dimensional.
With really detailed moulds like these, I found it works best to let the paper clay dry in the mould over night. The clay shrinks just a little bit and then easily can be pushed out of the moulds.
I was really happy the Fleur sentiment fitted just perfectly on the banner.
Well, there you have it. Hope you like my banner, thank you so much for visiting today, and don't forget, there are just a few days left to join our challenge!!!

27 comments:

Lou said...

So gorgeous and really creative too.hugs Lou.xx

Anonymous said...

That's really pretty.

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow this is a very pretty design, I love it!!

Greetings
Maria

Maryann Laursen said...

Really beautiful and definitely a memory of the big day for sure.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid,
The Plaque looks gorgeous, and the paper clay embellishments add uniqueness.
Smiles:)
Sue

rachel said...

so very pretty Astrid - must try the paperclay soon - I always use UTEE! Hugs Rachel xx

froebelsternchen said...

That is an amazing romantic project .. I love it.. oh gosh good that I ordered some paperclay ... when I see this here.. my heart gets happy!

xxx
Susi
Thank you for sharing Astrid!

Almo said...

This is so pretty Astrid, and yes it would make a lovely keepsake. Mo x

Unknown said...

A beautiful make that I can see becoming a vintage piece for the lucky recipient who won't want to take it down, ever. >:o) Very creative, Astrid. Chris xxx

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Hi Astrid a really elegant piece really love the detail in the moulds and how you have used just enough treasure gold to catch the light. Love it!

Anneke said...

Beautiful Astrid. Thanks for showing Anneke.

Words and Pictures said...

What a lovely elegant plaque - I love the leaves and damask in the backgrounds and the paperclay garland is simply gorgeous!
Alison xx

Rita said...

Absolutely Beautiful. Love all that you have created with this Astrid. Never used the Paper clay or the moulds, but they seem like fun. Wonderful Hanging and would adorn any wall. Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xxxx

Paper Profusion said...

Gorgeously soft and dreamy Astrid! Nicola x

Terry said...

Totally gorgeous hanging, Astrid. I have only used the two step clay and that is pretty hard on the fingers, may just try the paper clay! Love this!

Marisa Job said...

This is just beautiful!! Love it!!

Marisa Job said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Great texture and details!!

S@ndy Diller said...

Just beautiful Astrid. I will have to give this Paperclay a go.
You have inspired me.

Dorthe said...

Love your banner Astrid, the frame and butterfly are both beautiful after painted and inked, and love the rose in shrink plastic, too.
Hugs from Dorthe

Redanne said...

A beautiful hanging with a wonderful romantic feel to it! xx

mamablitger said...

Wow... !!! Astrid you really make some fabolous art pieces. I love your banner. You are so creative. Thank you for sharing !!
Hugs from Spain

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful!
Corrie x

Sid said...

Lovely work !!

Juliz Design Post said...

Such a lovely idea and your paper clay looks magic.
Julie x

May said...

Gorgeous hanging Astrid... I adore those moulds...Love the vintage feel... Hugs May x x

Margaret Mifsud said...

Stunning Astrid!! Love those moulds especially the frame, it is totally gorgeous!! Beautifully done as always!! ox

Annie said...

I adore this Astrid...recently purchased some moulds and can't wait to play. TFS
Annie x